My Hormone Supporting Faux Latte
I cut way back on coffee a couple of months ago after I realized it was making me jittery and anxious. But I love my morning ritual of sipping a hot beverage while I get ready so I needed something to take its place.
Sure, I could have gone the decaf route, but I wasn't totally sure if my intolerance was only related to the caffeine (I did the Coca's Pulse Test with coffee and it showed a reaction). It was possible my body was reacting to the coffee beans themselves, too.
I tried matcha tea for a little while and I enjoyed it. However, it's definitely not the same flavor profile as coffee. I missed that robust flavor.
A friend told me about Dandy Blend and how it tastes very similar to coffee. I gave it a try and was immediately hooked.
Dandy Blend is loose grounds that look and taste similar to coffee grounds. It is made from a blend of the extracts from barley, rye, dandelion, chicory, and beet roots. Each ingredient is dried and roasted which results in a warm, rich, almost chocolate/coffee like flavor.
Dandelion Root Benefits
All of these ingredients pack some serious health benefits but the real powerhouse is the dandelion root.
Dandelion root is high in antioxidants, rich in fiber, abundant in vitamins K and A, and helps cleanse the liver. Its liver cleansing properties are what drew me to it the most.
Our liver does so much for us. In fact the number of functions it performs in our body is over 500. Some of these many roles and functions are critical for our hormone health.
For example, the liver is responsible for deactivating and conjugating hormones and packaging them up to be detoxified and eliminated from the body. When the liver is burdened with toxins and under a lot of stress, this doesn't happen. As a result we can see hormonal imbalances such as estrogen dominance start to take place.
Dandelion also helps stimulate bile production. Bile is the "river" that carries toxins from our liver, into our stool, to then be eliminated from the body. It also helps us emulsify and digest fats, which are important to hormone production.
Hormone Supporting Ingredients
After learning all the health benefits associated with dandelion root, plus my newfound love for the flavor of Dandy Blend, I knew I had found my new "coffee". But I thought, why stop with the benefits of dandelion root when I could add all the things to my new drink and take it to the next level??
I added maca powder, turmeric, cinnamon, coconut oil, and collagen peptides for even more hormone support, which is exactly what I need right now. Here's why these added ingredients take the hormone supporting power of this latte to the next level:
Hormone Benefits of Maca Powder
- It is an adaptogen, meaning it helps our body adapt and re-balance as needed.
- Helps regulate hormones by stimulating and supporting the pituitary and hypothalamus with nutrients. The pituitary and hypothalamus are the master glands in the endocrine system and help orchestrate our hormonal balance. We need them to be working properly and communicating with the rest of the system for optimal hormone health!
- Supports male and female libido and fertility.
- Can help increase energy and mental focus.
Hormone Benefits of Turmeric
- Has anti-inflammatory properties. If you struggle with menstrual cramps or hormonal acne, you are experiencing an inflammatory response.
Hormone Benefits of Cinnamon
- Helps lower blood sugar. Most hormonal imbalances can be traced back to blood sugar dysregulation. Healing hormonal imbalances means getting to the root cause and balancing blood sugar.
Hormone Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Adequate fat intake is vital to hormone health. The body cannot make hormones without fats.
- Fats make up our cell membranes. We need healthy cell membranes for proper communication between cells, which is important for hormonal balance.
- Fats stabilize blood sugar (see above about importance of blood sugar in balancing hormones!) and help keep us full and satisfied.
Hormone Benefits of Collagen Peptides
- Collagen peptides are a great source of protein. We need adequate protein intake to obtain the amino acids needed to make hormones.
- Collagen helps heal and seal the gut lining. A healthy gut will also help with hormone production and general inflammation that contributes to PMS, mood swings, and hormonal acne.
Hormone Benefits of Dandelion Root
- Cleanses the liver so it can do its job of deactivating and ridding the body of excess hormones
- The liver is also key to blood sugar balance. We don't want it to be burdened by toxins! The gentle cleansing properties of dandelion root help free the liver up to do its job in blood sugar regulation.
- Helps stimulate bile production. Bile is the river that carries toxins out of our liver, into our stool to then be eliminated from the body.
Hormone Supporting Faux Latte Recipe
Despite how healthy this faux latte is, it actually tastes really great too! The coconut oil and collagen peptides, when blended, give the drink its creamy and frothy texture (like a latte).
Maca powder adds a warm, earthy flavor to the drink and the cinnamon rounds it all out.
Here's how to make the latte:
- 12 ounces steamed water*
- 4 ounces of steamed almond or coconut milk* (optional but gives it more of a latte flavor)
- 1 tablespoon Dandy Blend
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (you could also use ghee)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder (a few dashes)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (optional)
*I have big 16 ounce coffee mugs. If you have smaller mugs, just decrease the amount of liquid accordingly, keeping the same ratio of water to milk. You may also want to adjust the Dandy Blend down to 1-2 teaspoons if you're using a much smaller mug and less liquid.
- Heat water and milk (if you're using it) in a tea kettle or small sauce pan on the stove until it begins to steam.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a blender.
- Pour steamed water/milk into blender and blend on high for 30 seconds until frothy.
- Serve immediately.