Mediterranean Salmon Salad
A fresh and satisfying salmon salad packed full of vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids.
When you think of the word salad, what comes to mind? Is it wilted iceberg lettuce, a sad showing of a few vegetables, and a fat-free dressing? That's just not going to cut it.
When I make a salad, I pack that baby full of as many veggies as I can, add some fat so it's satiating and keeps my energy levels up and, if I want it to be a full meal, I'll add 4-6 ounces of protein to complete the dish.
This Mediterranean Salmon Salad fits all of my salad-as-a-meal requirements!
Veggies? Check! We've got mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and purple onion.
Fat? Check! There's goat cheese (or feta), Kalamata olives, and an olive oil dressing.
Protein? You know it! A beautiful filet of Wild Caught Salmon.
When choosing fish, aim to select wild caught if possible, not farm raised. Farm raised fish are grown in pens that are then submerged in water. Wild caught fish are just that, caught wild in their natural habitat. Studies have shown that farmed salmon can contain 50% LESS omega-3 fatty acids than wild caught salmon.
Farm raised fish that's been imported from foreign countries is even less ideal. Some of these foreign aquacultures have water contaminated with pesticides, antibiotics, and fish waste so it's important to pay attention to the country of origin.
Once you've found a good source of salmon, pull together the rest of the ingredients and get to work on this Mediterranean Salmon Salad!
- 2-4 filets Wild Caught Salmon
- 16 ounce package of mixed greens
- 1/4 purple onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cucumber cut in half then sliced into quartered rounds
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup feta or goat cheese crumbles (optional, omit for dairy free)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, ghee, coconut, or avocado oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
For the dressing:
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450
- Pat salmon filets dry with a paper towel, then place on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil, butter, or ghee, squeeze with juice from half a lemon, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and bake for 12 minutes or until it flakes with a fork.
- While the salmon cooks, prepare your salad by chopping veggies. Layer greens, then top with veggies, olives, and cheese crumbles. Combine all ingredients for the dressing in a small container with a lid and shake to combine.
- When salmon is finished cooking, use a fork to flake the salmon into pieces.
- Top salad with flaked salmon, drizzle with dressing, garnish with parsley and serve.