Iced Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
A bright and zesty Lemon Poppy Seed Bread complete with a silky icing that's completely grain free and Paleo friendly!
Can we talk about the fact that it's now the second week of April and parts of the country are still getting snow? I was visiting Ohio for Easter and parts of Northwest and Central Ohio had a solid few inches of snow on the ground when we drove through.
It's like Mother Nature is teasing us with a day or two of warmer weather and sunshine, followed by a week of cool, wet weather. I'm just so ready for it to finally be Spring.
While the weather might not feel like Spring, this Iced Lemon Poppy Seed Bread sure tastes like it! Maybe if we cook like it's Spring, Mother Nature will get the hint. Either way, you'll be glad you made this Paleo-friendly loaf.
This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is free of gluten, grains, and dairy. I've topped it with an icing made of melted coconut butter, which just so happens to be my newest obsession. It's bright, full of lemon flavor, and lightly sweetened with honey.
Perfect along side a few eggs for breakfast or enjoyed by itself for an afternoon snack (or dessert!) with a nice pat of grass fed butter. I love it both cold, right out of the fridge or lightly warmed.
Go ahead, whip up a loaf of your own and see if it brings signs of Spring to your house!
For the bread:
- 1.5 cups blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- Juice and zest from 1.5 large lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, butter, or ghee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
For the icing:
- 1/3 cup melted coconut butter (also known as coconut manna)
- Zest from half a lemon
- Poppy seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a non-stick bread tin. You can also line the bread tin with parchment paper to help ensure the loaf comes out clean.
- Combine the wet ingredients (eggs, lemon juice and zest, honey, oil, and vanilla) in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flours, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt) in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spread the dough into your greased and/or parchment lined loaf tin, making sure to smooth it so it is evenly distributed.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out of the center of the loaf clean.
- Let cool in tin for about 10 minutes. Then, run a knife around the edges to separate the loaf from the tin and carefully flip to remove from the tin. Let cool on wire rack for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- When the loaf has cooled, make your icing by melting coconut butter and stirring in lemon zest. Pour the icing across the top of the loaf to create a drizzled, zigzag pattern.
- Slice and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.